Friday, September 10, 2010

One More Question...

Here is what Carolyn posted on one of my posts...

I am glad to say that I am within your first 50 followers. Have a ? for you. I have been planning on buying the MTC software but do you think I should hold off until you get through the eCraft demos? Which is easier for a beginner of the software and pc downloading and cutting?

Here is my opinion at this point in time. As far as the eCraft machine goes, I really really like it.  I have been able to cut things that I never would have even attempted on my Cricut Expression.  When it comes to the software, it is not up to snuff...yet.  The software has a good structure, but there are so many things that this software is either lacking or is not functioning the way it should.  The software has only been with us for a little over a week right now, and I would guess that right now Craftwell is probably going through all of our e-mails and putting together a master list of things that need to be added and fixed.  The next step for them will be to prioritize this list.  We know that Craftwell has hired a software development company in India to write the program.  So they will need to communicate with them what they want to be fixed first.  My guess would be that the first issue would be to make the import of SVG files function better.  I have had great luck with importing SVGs, but there are issues.  One of these issues is that if you were to import an SVG where everything has not been set to a path, eCP does not have converting abilities to make these paths for you.  There are some reports online of files where everything is set to a path, but it still is not cutting correctly, even on simple shapes.  Now the big question is when will the software be updated to fix this problem?  Since Craftwell has hired an outside firm to write the program, we and Craftwell are basically at their mercy.  It could be a matter of maybe a few weeks or even longer.  The next question we have to ask is, how long until the eCP software is what we want it to be?  That is not so easy to answer, one possibility is that it will never be what we want it to be.  I highly doubt that that will be the case, because Craftwell has shown that they are determined to make a great product and the software is what is going to make the eCraft a GREAT product.  I hate to tell you this, but from the little experience I have in developing software, I believe that it could be several months before we get there.  I would have to guess 6 months at least.  Now that doesn't mean that 6 months will go by before we get an update.  I suspect we will get updates along the way, but they are going to fix sections of the software one at a time.  I could very well be wrong about this, only time will tell.

It is not a secret that I love Make the Cut.  I think that Andy (the developer), did an amazing job.  I kind of wish that Craftwell just went to him and asked him to include the eCraft as one of the cutting machines that Make the Cut supports and then they could just offer each eCraft owner a copy of MTC.  Make the Cut is not a perfect program, but it is the best out there that I have worked with. Andy is a big reason why the software is so great, he really listens to what we want.  He is constantly updating the software and adding features to it.  The MTC forum is outstanding, so many wonderful ladies and gents there that are willing to help.  I have seen cases where someone goes on there and says I need this type of file, and someone will go and design it for them.  How great is that?  Andy and some of the others there also do webinars where they teach us how to use the software.  They record these webinars so that they are available to watch at any time.  I have been able to do everything that I have wanted to do and more with MTC.  Another great thing about MTC is that there is a gallery available that users can post files that they have created online for others to download.  There are thousands of files available with more being added every day.

Since most likely the software is not going to be a good software for at least a few months, and Make the Cut right now is priced at $58.36, it is definitely something that I would consider doing.  I purchased MTC about a month before I decided to pre-order the eCraft, and I have not regretted it at all.  I should tell you that I am NOT an affiliate of Make the Cut.  I do not make one red cent should you decide to buy it.  I will only make recommendations of products that I personally love and cannot do without.  Make the Cut is one of those products!  If I were in your position, I might wait until after the first eCP update to see what gets accomplished in that update.  I believe that the first update will give us an idea of how dedicated and determined the software development firm is.  It will give us some big clues as to how long we might have to wait to get all the features that we want. If you want to get the feel of MTC, you can download a free trial version and see if it is something that you might like.  One of the biggest features that MTC has is the ability to export your designs as an SVG file.  Should eCP get the SVG issues resolved, you can always use MTC to do all your design work and just import those designs into eCP to cut with.  This is what I anticipate that I will do until eCP is completely fixed.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...