Monday, March 12, 2012

Baby Frame for the eCraft Design Team Challenge

 

Welcome to Challenge Week on the eCraft by Craftwell blog!  This week we have been challenged to use the products from PrintOnIt.com to create a baby gift.  Now, all sorts of ideas popped in my head for this including onesies, socks, blankets, ornaments, etc.  I decided to do something a little bit more personalized.  I made this to show how the Inkjet Opaque Transfer Sheets don’t have to go on clothes.

20120306-DSC_0017-1

I printed out some digital paper from my stash onto the Inkjet Opaque Transfer Sheets and then cut out the letters using my eCraft.  This paper is very slippery so to get some clean cuts on these letters, I had to pull out all the stops.  I used a little spray temporary adhesive and adhered that to my veggie mat from Dollar Tree.  I also decided to tape down the edges with some painters tape just to make sure that I didn’t waste any of this material…this may have been overkill, but it worked!

 

Next I used my heat press to adhere the letters onto a piece of solid colored fabric from Joann’s.  If I had to do this project again, I would have to come up with a better method to keep the letters straight.  I put a piece of cardstock there and lined up the letters to the edge of the cardstock, but they are so light that at some point a couple of them shifted.

 

After my letters were adhered to my fabric, I adhered the whole panel to a piece of chipboard that was cut to fit my frame.  Now, it was time to do something with my frame…

 

This frame was originally black and the mom that I made this for really likes the distressed look so I actually did two different distressing techniques on it.  First, I painted the frame in some pale blue paint from Martha Stewart (Blue Sky) and then I used a sanding block to sand off some of the paint in some places.  Then I applied a heavy coat of Weather Crackle Effect by Martha Stewart and let that dry.  Once that medium was dry I painted on top of it in another Martha Stewart paint (Greek Tile).  I have to tell you…this was really cool because the crackle starts to happen once your top coat of paint starts to dry and the Martha Stewart paints dry pretty quickly.  I got the frame, the paints, and the Crackle from Michaels. After my painting techniques were done, I sprayed the frame with a clear coat to preserve the look (and to prevent any paint from chipping off). I love how this blue compliments the yellow in this little boy’s room.

 

20120306-DSC_0017-1-2

 

Thanks for stopping by and make sure you visit the eCraft by Craftwell blog each day this week to see what the other girls have done with this challenge!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...