Saturday, September 18, 2010

Remember This...

Sorry that this post is late in coming, I was going to post it yesterday, but life got in the way....

Awhile ago, I posted this picture of some glass etched address blocks that I created. HERE is the original post.



At the time, I was unsure as to how I was going to light these.  I wanted a small light so that you wouldn't see a huge bulb through the glass.  One day, I was shopping at Meijer and found these.



They are LED nightlights with a light sensor so that they will go on and off depending on the light. They are made by First Alert.  So I bought some to experiment with.  I was able to easily pop off the top with a butter knife.



Unfortunately the diameter of this light is just a smidge too big to fit inside the hole of the glass blocks, but never fear. E-6000 to the rescue! 



This stuff is great, I have fixed many things with this that other adhesives just would not work with.  I placed the light on top of the hole, and applied a bead of E-6000 to the edge all the way around.  I made sure that the light sensor was in the back of the glass block.  I let the E-6000 dry and it was securely fastened to the glass block.



The next step was to figure out a way to get power to each of the three lights.  I rummaged through the Christmas stuff and found an extension cord that is made to go up and down the Christmas tree.  It has three outlets in three different spots on the cord, so I hooked them up.  From there I just need to place the blocks in their stands and place them outside.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...