Saturday, January 1, 2011

Finding Pressure Settings for the eCraft

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

With the holidays behind us, I finally have some time to do a couple of videos that I have been planning on for awhile now.  So in honor of the New Year, let's get that eCraft cutting!  For this first video, I am going to share with all of you how I go about finding the pressure settings for a piece of cardstock.  I have seen a few newer eCraft owners online getting frustrated because they can't seem to find the right setting and it really isn't difficult at all, so I thought I would share with all of you my process and a few tips and tricks that I have picked up.

RULE #1 - If your paper is tearing, that means the pressure is too high!  If it is not cutting all the way through, that means that the pressure is too low!

RULE #2 - Check your blade and blade safety cap for debris that may be interferring with the cut.  This has happened to me numerous times!

RULE #3 - Make sure you are loading the paper in the machine so that the grain is going into the machine.  Watch the video, because I show you exactly what I mean!

RULE #4 - Weather and other environmental aspects do affect the settings, so if it has been awhile since you cut a certain type of paper, you may want to get in the habit of doing a small test cut before embarking on a large project just to make sure that your environment hasn't changed enough to affect the settings.  I had a piece of paper that I tried to cut in the summer that I could not get to cut right at all.  Fast forward to late fall/early winter and suddenly I could cut this paper and it cut great! 

Don't forget that you can download the eCraft settings chart (link located in the column to the right).  Also, I am looking for some input so that I can keep this chart updated, please e-mail me any pressure settings that you find so that I can add them to the list.

Here's the video...



Thanks for watching and if you have any video requests for me, please let me know.  I have a few more planned including some that were suggested so if there is something you want to see, I will do what I can to make it happen for you!  Have a great day AND a GREAT YEAR!

1 comment:

Nancy Ward said...

Denise,

Paper is like a sponge when it comes to soaking up humidity. So much humidity is produced in our homes that even areas that are arid in the winter (primarily due to home heating) can produce 'damp' papers.

Running a heat gun over both sides of the paper will dry it out and eliminate any dampness problems when cutting. If you plan to be cutting multiple sheets of paper at one time, turn the oven to 200 degrees, place the papers (single layer) on cake cooling racks, and stick them in the oven for about 10 minutes. Do a test cut to ensure the papers are dry enough for satisfactory cutting.

This trick also eliminates a lot of thermal embossing problems. Damp paper just doesn't cut or thermal emboss well...it does, however, pressure emboss beautifully.

Nancy Ward
PaperFRiendly
http://www.nancywardcrafts.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...