Monday, September 26, 2011

eCraft Monday Design Team Project

Today I have another Design Team project for all of you!  Did you all sign up to follow the eCraft by Craftwell blog?  Weren’t the projects last week wonderful?  This week the Design Team was challenged to create a project using an image from eCraftCentral.com.  If you have not explored eCraftCentral.com, make sure you do!  There are a lot of images there available for purchase at a low price!  Most images are less than a dollar!

 

For my project, I chose this image which you can get right HERE!

Capture2

Notice that this image comes from the Banner Expressions SD card?  This is one of the things that I love about Craftwell and what they are doing with eCraftCentral.com.  If there is an image on a SD card that you want, but maybe you don’t want the entire SD card, it just may be available on eCraftCentral.com.  How awesome is that?  Not all the SD images are available, but there are quite a few that are!

 

I have to tell you that I got carried away with this project!  I spent more time on it than I planned, but I just love how it turned out, and my 6 year old says that it is really spooky!

CIMG0746

To start, I covered an 11”x14” canvas with paper from Echo Park Apothecary Emporium.  I ripped up the paper and used Glue N’ Seal from Inkssentials to adhere it down. 

CIMG0741

Next I added some Distress Crackle Paint in Black Soot to the edges.

CIMG0742

I just love how you can see the paper underneath through the crackle!  Now comes the fun part!  There is a little hidden surprise on this sign!  Can you guess what it is? Take a close look at the picture below!

CIMG0748

Using images from Lettering Delights doodlebats Jack-O-Patterns, I cut these out of removable vinyl.

 

For all the vinyl on this project, I used a pressure setting of 2 with my vegetable cutting mat, blade cap on, multi-cut off.

CIMG0744

I placed them sporadically on my sign, making sure that I had enough room for my title.

CIMG0745

Next I used a new product to paint in my stencils, and I have to say that I am loving this stuff.  I used Marta Stewart’s Glow in the Dark Effect from her new paint line (exclusively at Michaels).  The Glow in the Dark is available in a few colors, but I just used the uncolored one so that my paper could glow. I added about 4 coats of the Glow in the Dark effect and then very carefully removed the vinyl. This next picture is not the best, and it really does not do it justice, but I hope you get the idea anyways!

CIMG0754

This is why my son says that this sign is really spooky!  But of course, I am not done!  I still have to add my eCraftCentral.com title to it!  To do this, I decided that I needed to dress it up too!  First, I made a shadow blackout layer in eCraftshop Pro using some white vinyl.  After cutting that out, I covered it with some glitter paint from Martha Stewart’s new line.  This paint is amazing.  It works on glass, metal, wood, so I thought why not vinyl!

CIMG0743

Notice in the picture above how the paint pools on the backing paper.  This is a really neat effect.  I added 3 or 4 coats of the paint until I got the orange color that I was going for and then I added that onto my sign with the extra paint pooling on the edges.  After seeing the surface that the glitter paint left on the vinyl, I decided to cut the black layer out of outdoor vinyl because it adheres stronger.  If I had to do this over, I might just do this in cardstock and use a strong liquid adhesive.  Some parts of the outdoor vinyl did not stick as well as I would have liked them to and so I added a little liquid adhesive in some spots.

CIMG0746

The eyes and toes on the owls were also cut out of vinyl.  When you get the image from eCraftCentral.com those parts are actually set to draw with the pen.  In eCraftshop Pro, this is easy to change to cut instead and that is what I did here. I just love how you can take an image like this and change it around to suit your project!  For a low investment, I got a one of a kind stand out title for my sign!

 

To finish the sign off, I used some Halloween embellishments that I got at Michaels and the black chain I got at Ace Hardware.

 

Hope everyone enjoyed this project as much as I enjoyed making it!  If you haven’t signed up to follow the eCraft by Craftwell blog yet, by all means do it now!  The entire Design Team has projects all week long for you!

2 comments:

Belinda Basson said...

awesome idea! I have similar paint knocking about somewhere! Thanks for the concept.

Sandra said...

Great project! here in Holland Halloween isn't a big holliday, but I wish it was! I love halloween.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...