Friday, November 26, 2010

Tags as Gifts?

NOTE: This is the 2nd post of the day, so be sure to scroll down to see my first post!

Yesterday for the Papertrey Ink Blog Hop, I showed you two of the tags that I have created for this year.  Now, I would like to take the time to show you 5 more of the tags that I have created. I will be showing you more tags in the next few days as well until I have shown you all of them! Also for today I am going to show you how I am packaging up these tags to give to some people as a little gift.  Hint:  I am recycling something that any Cricut crafter has laying around... Now onto the tags...




Now onto the gift...I am giving an assortment of these tags to a few people this year.  One of whom is Jared's teacher, which I did last year for his pre-school teachers and was so well received that I have decided that this will be my standard Christmas teacher gift.  I am making improvements on it for this year however.  I decided that I wanted to put these into a box that in itself would be a keepsake.  This box needed to be big enough for all the tags, but also for a few accessories.  I wanted to include a couple of pens and also some Baker's Twine to attach these tags onto each gift.  So in my brainstorming, I came across an idea that I think all of you will love!

Awhile ago, I had to come up with some alternate storage for all of my Cricut cartridges.  After completing that storage, I was left with all of the Cricut cartridge boxes.  I could not do what others had done and just throw them out.  I knew that one day I would find a way to use them, and I did!  So I set out to recover these boxes to use as my tag boxes!  First off, here is the finished product...



Now, a little picture tutorial on how I did this.  To do this project, you will need the following supplies.

1 piece of 8-1/2" x 12" decorative paper (Note: the magnets on the box will work better if you use a thinner paper, but you will want to make sure that you can't see through the paper!)
2 pieces of 1-1/4" x 3-3/4" coordinating paper
1/4" Scor Tape or similar adhesive
E-6000 Adhesive or similar industrial strength adhesive
Empty Cricut cartridge box
Rubberbands

Step 1: Remove the interior box from the outer shell of the Cricut Cartridge box.  I recommend removing the bottom portion of the box first, as when I tried it the other way, I ended up tearing the box.


Step 2 - Apply a strip of Scor Tape to the interior edge of the outer shell right above the magnets.


Step 3 - Apply the paper to the Scor Tape as shown.  Make sure that the overlap on each side is even!!!!


Step 4 - Apply Scor Tape on all four side and along both sides of each "score" in the box.



Step 5 - Slowly fold the attached paper over and apply to each section of the outer shell.  As you go along, bend the outer shell at each "score" so that the paper does not get too tight!



Step 6 -  Fold paper over to the inside of the outer shell and adhere with Scor Tape.


Step 7 - Cut and remove the interior corner sections so that the long ends can fold over easily.  Then fold over the ends and adhere with more Scor Tape.





Step 8 - Apply the coordinating paper to the ends of the interior box that we removed earlier.



Step 9 - Apply a good amount of the E-6000 adhesive to the underside of the interior box and place in the outer shell.  Make sure you line up the "score" of the outer shell with the interior box.


Step 10 - Apply E-6000 adhesive to the back section of the interior box and fold the outer shell so that it completely surrounds the interior box.  Place some rubber bands around the box to hold it in place while the adhesive dries.  I like to let it dry overnight.


Now it is time to embellish our boxes.  On both of the boxes that I have completed so far, I used a thicker cardstock weight paper from K&Company.  Since I did this, the magnets would "grab" onto each other, but they did not hold the box closed the way I would like them to.  I decided to add a ribbon closure to the boxes.  I used Papertrey Ink saddle stitch ribbons on both boxes.  I simply adhered them onto the box with some more Scor Tape and then tied the ends into bows.  I also used the same ribbon to do a layered and looped riboon embellishment on the top of the boxes.  I then used the Jen Allyson Celebrates eCraft Design card to cut out the tags at 3 1/2" in coordinating cardstock.  I stamped each tag with some Versamark ink using Papertrey Ink's Fancy Flourishes stamp set.  I heat set that ink with my heat gun and then stamped the sentiment from PTI's Signature Christmas stamp set and heat embossed it using white embossing powder.  I inserted a little white velvet ribbon in the hole and then added a glittery button to each before adhering the entire tag to the top of the box.  Here are pictures of both finished products.

And here is a shot of the box opened with the contents inside...


I have two more of these boxes to complete, and I will be sure to share those pictures once I have them done!

Be sure to check out my first post today, as I announced the winner of the Giveaway!!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...